Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

From Rome

Bonjourno,

We arrived in Rome yesterday at one in the afternoon, to sunny, mild weather. Unfortunately, it was straight to the hostel beds for us, as Scott and I had gotten two hours of sleep combined our last night in Madrid. The sleep deprivation made for a most unenjoyable, head-bobbing Ryanair flight into Rome. The baby being passed back and forth over my head between two Spanish women did not help my cause.

To review our stops so far:

Lisbon is a phenomenal, vibrant city that had me at hello. It has earthy hues to it, with clay-red roofs resting on top of yellow, orange, and salmon-pink houses. These colors, with a touch of Tagus River thrown in, result in a tranquility that I haven't felt in more bustling European cities. Thin, winding streets rise and fall between apartment buildings that people are lucky enough to live in. The city offers a wonderful view across the river of lush green trees surrounding a massive, white monument commemorating Christopher Columbus.

Madrid, on the other hand, allows me to begin a new list from my European travels: Cities that I Do Not Like. I have never gone to a European city that did not stimulate me in the slightest. And then came Madrid.

OK I have to go explore Rome. Talk soon.

2 comments:

  1. I also was not the biggest fan of Madrid. Although, if the only place you went in Europe was Madrid, it would be awesome. However, if you already spent several days in Rome, Barcelona, Nice, and Amsterdam then Madrid looses its flavor.

    Except for Brussels. The only thing to do in Brussels, as you know, is drink beer and play ping pong at the hostel. Madrid and Brussels come down to a personal choice: wine or beer?

    With that I leave you my love. Travel safe, and remember these letters. WWGVZD? What would Greg Van Zuiden do?...

    Tenderly,

    GVZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, G. Brussels was so forgettable that I...forgot about it. That would be an honorable mention on the Cities that I do not Like list; Brussels at least had a sweet square.

    Equally tender embrace.

    ReplyDelete