Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

34 minute post

Hey y'all,

We're doing a speed post here, because as the Brits like to say, I can't be arsed.

I wish I could paint even the slightest word picture of the incredible monuments that I saw in Rome, notably the Pantheon.  Scott and I initially came across it at night, as it lies unassumingly cramped in a small plaza, shielded from view by many buildings.  We visited it hastily the last day, just before catching our plane to Dublin.  I consider myself lucky to have even placed a foot inside the dome, but I easily could have taken a seat for hours and attempted to etch a more permanent memory of the splendor surrounding me.  The very center of the dome is an Oculus, allowing a circle of sunlight to traipse along its interior.  Of course, the B.C. origin of the building and the exact dimensions beg the question, "How?"

__________

This weekend, I went to Savoie, a region in the Alps.  My friend's parents have a restaurant and hotel there, catering to French people and foreigners alike.  Their house is warmly wooded on the interior, marking the successful marriage of wooden cabin, and mountains.

Skiing was on the itinerary, but sub-par conditions and late-night partying kept it at bay.  I'm okay with that, because skiing I have done.  Climbing up a muddy, somewhat rocky side path in the Alps to a mountainside bar at midnight, and descending by means of sitting on shovels four hours later, I had not done.  It was a good time.

__________

OK, that will do for tonight.

If I ever made a movie, this song would get in there one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment